Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Bike Situation

You may be curious as to what bicycle I will be riding. The bike I own is produced by a company named Blue. I purchased it a few years back and could have bought a used car instead. It has a full carbon fiber frame and top of the line specs. Check it out.


Very sexy. (click for larger view)

However, because of the material of the frame I will not be riding it on my long journey. I will be loading my bike down with 40-50 pounds of gear and carbon fiber is not known for strength but rather flexibility and lightness. A steel frame would suit my needs much better. After some weeks of searching around for a low cost solution to my bike situation, I have finally figured it out.

My friend's father owns a high quality bicycle that he cannot ride anymore because of a bad neck. My friend told his father of my desperate situation and he graciously decided to lend me the machine for my ride. This certainly saved me hundreds of dollars. However, being out of use for years I will need to put some money into her to get her road-ready.  Money I will certainly have no qualms about spending. Check out the ride.

Also sexy, but I need to do something with those yellow handlebars.
What do you think about red?
(click for larger view)

She's fast and light right now. I need to make her more sturdy and tour ready. Which means new wheels and crankset. I'll post another update when I get the bike set for the long haul. The bike situation is not over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment