Saturday, March 20, 2010

6th Training Day - A Ride With Nick

My friend Nick has recently purchased a road bike. I was excited to check it out and he was excited to take it for a spin. We decided to meet up this morning and get a ride in together before the March Madness games began in the early afternoon.

We arrived separately by car at our starting point in the park at around 9:00 AM. As we were putting on our cycling shoes and admiring our bicycles (especially Nick's new one) the realization was starting to dawn on us that we were woefully underdressed. The high today might have been in the mid 50's, but it was still early and the sun had not had a chance to warm things back up. It was right around 38 degrees. I was wearing cycling shorts, two t-shirts (one long sleeve) and a windbreaker. Nick at least had pants on but just a sweatshirt on top, no windbreaker. Neither of us had gloves.

It was great riding with a close friend. We were able to talk quite a bit while riding. It was pleasant because there was little traffic. Although, my hands and knees were turning an interesting shade of red and my toes were losing feeling not long after the first mile. Despite this I was certainly enjoying myself.

Riding with two people provides such a great advantage over riding solo. Nick and I would switch leading and the other would try to tuck in as close as possible behind the other and draft. While drafting, I would notice Nick in front of me pedaling very hard and I was not even pedaling and sometimes tapping the brakes so that my front tire would not rub on his rear tire. Oh, I really enjoy drafting. Then, when I notice Nick losing a little momentum I come pedaling hard around him and the roles reverse so that he can rest a bit while drafting before it is his turn to lead once again.

Unfortunately, we did not wear proper clothing for this ride and only managed a meager 13 miles. At least they were a quick 13 miles. I believe our average speed to have been around 18 mph. I still wore myself out by the end when I broke away from Nick and went off in a sprint. This ride was just a teaser. Nick and I plan to do some much longer rides in the future.

Lastly, this blog needs more pictures. You know, spice things up a bit. I mean, there isn't even a picture of me up here yet! So, I promise you that from now on EVERY post I make will include at least one picture. I know...you're very excited. But calm down. You won't have to wait long. The weather is going to be beautiful this week. I'm excited too.

No comments:

Post a Comment