Thursday, March 4, 2010

2nd Training Day - It's Still Winter

Since February 21, the date of my previous training day, Cleveland has seen quite a bit of snow. Which is the reason that I have not ridden in 11 days. But, today was sunny with a high of 42 degrees. That type of weather would suit me just fine for a bike ride. The only problem being that it is Thursday and I am supposed to go to work on Thursday.

Planning ahead, I went to work on the earlier side and planned to leave early in order to get a ride in. Normally, I am not very busy at work and I sometimes leave early due to boredom. Today that would not be the case. There were issues coming up left and right and my phone was ringing much more frequently than I am accustomed to. For a brief moment I was concerned that perhaps my plans would be nixed all because some lawyers weren't getting their emails. Well, I knew what had to be done and I did it.

I caught the 2:07 westbound and was on my bike by 3:30. What were they going to do? Fire me? Hah! It seemed a bit colder than what the temperature suggested because of a slight wind. After the numbing of my toes towards the end of my previous cold-weather ride, I decided to invest in some wool socks. They did little good against the cold wind and my toes immediately began to bother me. Perhaps this ride will have to be shorter than the last.

I felt stronger going up the hills and made rather light work of the largest hill in my way. Being so out of riding shape, I stood to gain a lot from that ride 11 days ago. as the ride progressed, my toes became more and more of a concern. I had to remind myself that I was riding further and further away from my car and would need to turn around soon. I made it 10.5 miles before I decided I better head back. I stopped for a bit to wiggle my toes as much as I could and drink from my brand new water bottle (see "First Training Day" post). I always carry my phone with me and checked to see the time but noticed that work had called twice (I had silenced my phone for such a situation). Smiling, I put the phone back in my pocket and clipped back in to begin the now colder ride home.

That slight wind I had spoke of earlier while riding out did not feel so slight riding back. A headwind it was for the ten miles back. Not constant, not strong, but just enough for me to feel it and curse it at the same time. The wind of course did not do my toes any favors either. By the 15th mile my left foot from toe-tips to arch was numb and my right was getting there. I could still wiggle all my toes so that made me less concerned. I also began to notice the pixels on my spedometer were changing rather slowly. The computer was even cold!

I was coming upon the largest hill that I had gotten up quite easily on the way out. At the top of it is a traffic light. It was green as soon as I caught sight of it around a bend. I was still about 1,000 feet away from it waiting for it to turn yellow. It did not. I crossed that line that a rider draws before every green light when he says, "Alright, I'm going to sprint through this light no matter what color it is when I get there." It turned yellow just as I tucked my head down for one last push before racing through the intersection at 28 mph. Then, right before me is the hill! Going this fast really amplifies the cold air and I could feel it cutting through my windbreaker down to my skin. At the bottom of the hill I was up to 40 mph and pondering if that sprint was going to be worth it in the end since I had just chilled my body to the core. Ah, what the heck, it was fun!

I got back to the car wanting to warm my feet but also a little disappointed because my legs were not cramping and completely spent. I felt I had another 20 miles in me for sure! In this Cleveland climate and at this time of year, I was happy with the ride I had. I've got all summer for leg cramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment