Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 5 - Take That, Body

The Marin is back! I picked it up around 11:45 and after a final meal and a sad goodbye with my Woodbridge family I was back on the road. I also purchased a new seat post rack and a bag to strap on it. This one is metal and will certainly not bust if a large force should ever be placed on it. I will post a picture of my updated rig soon.

It was hot today. 94 degrees. My goal today was to get to Fredericksburg, Virginia. The ride was much less interesting than the last one. I managed to get people, a couple different times, who were outside their houses to fill my water bottles. I'm going to have to start filling up that water bladder. I left around 1:30 and made it into Fredericksburg, 60 miles away, at around 7:30. It was a hot ride and I beat myself up pretty good. Take that, body. It is going to be adapting pretty quickly this week.

So, I roll into Fredericksburg and my first priority was to find somewhere to sleep for the night. I get to an intersection in the downtown area and notice a younger gentleman walking a beagle across the street. I figured he might be good for a recommendation of a hotel in town. After I asked him, he quickly responded that I could stay the night at his place and get a shower. Perfect.

As I am putting on my sandals, Jarus starts talking about how he did a long touring ride along the Pacific coast last summer using the same company that I am for the routes. We walk back to his place and I tell him all about how my trip has been going so far and he tells me about his rides and offers up some great advice. We drop my bike off at his house and then drive over to dinner at a local dive named “Happy Endings” for a muscle relaxing Blue Moon and a delicious three dollar steak wrap with fries. The conversation was great too.

Jarus lives with four roommates whom I met after dinner. Everyone is around my age and very friendly. I got to wash some clothes and took a shower about 20 minutes ago. What's more, is that Jarus works south of here in Richmond where I plan to be heading tomorrow. So, on Jarus' morning commute he will drop me off approximately 50 miles further south right at the point where I will begin heading west. Bonus.

Well, my stomach is full, I am all clean, and I am exhausted.


life=good

3 comments:

  1. you are on fire joe. keep it up. and i look like a real loser commenting 4 minutes after you posted this story. but i guess i'll admit i'm living through you this summer. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. metric century. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great Joey, enjoying the posts

    ReplyDelete