Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 6 - Mineral

Here's a picture of the new rear bag.

Breakfast stop at a Citgo in Bumpass, VA.

If you click the image to enlarge it you may notice some brown packaging tape on the seat post. This is because the diameter of the post was much smaller than the diameter of the attachments. It's holding up pretty well so far. 

Jarus had to be at work real early today so he dropped me off somewhere north of Ashland, VA at around 6 AM this morning. He saved me at least 40 miles of riding. 

It was a beautiful, leisurely paced ride all morning. In fact, it was so nice that while I was stopped at aan intersection, a pick up truck idled up next to me and the driver, who was no doubt a local farmer, yelled out, "It's a great mornin', ittn't it?" It was indeed.

I stopped and helped this little guy get across the road. 


Lake Anna. 

The ride from where I was dropped off to where I will be staying the night, in Mineral, Virginia, was about 40 miles. Mineral was founded in 1890 and has a population of 424 people. My map indicates that there are no hotels in Mineral. However, it says that there is free camping behind the volunteer fire station and a library. I stopped and asked the attendant the gas station where the fire department and library were. I'm excited to use my tent. I wonder how cold I will get tonight. 

So, I am at the library now taking advantage of the comfortable chairs, AC, and free wi-fi. I made a Google map of my trip so far. 


View Where is Joe? in a larger map

The blue lines and their distances are a little inaccurate sometimes. It gives you a general idea. I'll try to post one of these whenever I am in a free wi-fi area.

In a couple days I'm going to be cycling into some sizeable mountains. I wonder which pair of shoes I'm going to be wearing more; cycling shoes or sandles.


life=good

1 comment:

  1. Love the turtle shot =) Lake Anna is a great place to camp (next time) and glad your rack is holding up! Mission accomplished.

    ReplyDelete