Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 8 - I'm in Love!

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah River.
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze.

I fell asleep at about 9:30 last night and did not wake up until 6 this morning. I got breakfast across the street and was on my bike by 7:30. It was hot early. I could tell it was going to be a grueling day of riding. It sure was pretty though.

Somewhere west of Charlottesville.

The first 15 or so miles were simple enough. Just a few hills and nothing really to speak of. My first stop was in White Hall, Virginia. There, was Wyant's General store. There were some interesting locals sitting out front. I bought a Vitamin Water and sat outside on the far end of the porch from them. As I was drinking I was trying to think of something to say to them. There was a white building across the street so, my best idea was to ask them if that building is where the city got it's name. I thought that was pretty lame and finished my drink frustrated with myself because I was too chicken to start a conversation with these people. 

I go back into the store to throw my bottle away and three gentleman were in the corner. The two old guys were sitting and one younger guy (probably around 50) was standing. One of the old guys asked me where I was from. That's all that it took for a wonderful conversation to get started. The two old guys were Dick and Goldie. Goldie didn't talk much but Dick loved telling stories. The standing man, now to my left, was Bobby "The Mouth" Graves. They called him that because he loves to do impressions of other people's voices. Also, he is quite a guitar player and singer and writer and not to mention a bit of a comedian. He was quick to mention the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

We talked about Johnny Cash and Dick has a thimble from Johnny Cash's mother. He also saw the Cadillac that was put together "One Piece at a Time." Goldie spent years in the Navy underwater in a submarine and Dick mapped countries for the Air Force before there was GPS. A man walked into the store and Dick quickly asked him how the beets were coming up. The man, who's hair was gray and skin was saggy, but still looked like he could dig a deep hole, said that the beets were looking real nice this year. Everyone was real interested and happy that the beets were doing well. Dick then told the man he had a bag of cotton socks in his truck the beet farmer could take and use in his smoker. I guess cotton smokes real well. 

I walked outside with "The Mouth" to get back to riding. As you might imagine, it is no small task to end a conversation with a man nicknamed as accurately as him. However, if Bobby hadn't stalled my departure a few minutes I would have never met another man a few decades my senior: Dick. 

This is not the same guy who I met in the store. This guy was riding by on his bike and noticed me while I was listening to Bobby. he pulled up and asked me where I was headed and I told him the route number. He commented that it was not a very safe road and that I could ride with him for a bit and he would show me a better way to get me to where I was going. Perfect. 

We go through the formalities that strangers usually go through. Turns out, Dick used to work at Case Western and he lived in Shaker Heights. He even worked with Hans Beta! From what I could tell, he has helped people raise money for a career. He mentioned that he started his own business and I immediately was very interested in him. Not only that, he is an accomplished cyclist! He rides regularly in Virginia and has done rides in the Pyrenees and Cascades. We had plenty to talk about. Also, the mountains were getting closer. 



Dick led me all the way to just short of Greenwood. From there, I took route 250 to Blue Ridge Parkway. 250 was brutal. It was now around 11AM and the sun was hot. I stopped multiple times up the hill to Blue Ridge. My feet were making one revolution about every second and a half. 

Once I was finally on Blue Ridge Parkway I took a breather at the first overlook. 

Evening out the farmer's tan...and showing off the guns...

Amazingly, once on Blue Ridge Parkway I felt much better in the climbs than when I was on route 250. I was not moving fast but I felt good and I kept a steady pace. 

Not much of a view but, that is one good looking tree.

Almost there!

Not quite!

3

thousand

200

feet!

Triple crank, schmiple crank.

I met a very nice couple at the top who were traveling from Asheville. They gave me a couple Gatorades and a nice conversation. 

It was now about 2:30. I was getting hungry and had done about 45 miles already. Even though I was at a peak, to get completely off the mountain I will have to descend to about 2,800 feet and then come back up to 3,200 once again before I fall all the way down to about 1,500. 

Not feeling like making one more somewhat large ascent today, I decided to pull off the parkway when I saw a sign for an open deli. The deli was on a bit of property with multiple cabins. Every cabin is full for Memorial Day and I've met some of the vacationers here. A question I often get is, "Where is all your stuff?"

 I also noticed there was camping close by. I got a couple hot dogs, three oatmeal creampies and a Honey Moon. Best meal I've ever had in my whole life. 

I asked the people at the deli where the camping was and they said about 4 miles down the hill and then 2 miles after you make a left turn, or we can let you camp out right here for 20 bucks. Done deal. I washed myself off with the hose and ordered a sandwich for dinner. 

Turns out, where I decided to spend the night is in a little town named Love, Virginia up at about 2,900 feet in the Appalachians. So now, I'm laying in my tent and listening to some soft country music coming from a nearby cabin. Tonight, I'm in Love.


life=good

3 comments:

  1. Phil Vassar by chance???

    PS Fun fact for the day: Portland, Oregon was voted the #6 "Fittest City" just a little FYI :)

    -traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. that meal sounds good joe.

    keep living the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im loving this blog. Cant wait to see how this story ends. I will have to tell you about my day tomorrow, I bet it starts with coffee and ends with talking about my day!!

    ReplyDelete