Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Stay in Woodbridge and an Introduction to the Perfect Philospohy

Since Sunday evening I have been in Woodbridge, Virginia waiting for my bike to be repaired. Finally, at noon on Thursday it will be ready.

The bike ride fell apart (quite literally) even before it had a chance to get started. What a bummer, right? That might be if I had different expectations. Woodbridge and the family whose house I have lived with for the last five days are not what I had in mind for the week when I was riding across the Arlington Bridge last Sunday. I think that what we have in mind and expect for ourselves and what actually happens are seldom the same thing. I wonder, what good are expectations?

I have maintained, at a higher level than normal, a certain philosophy over the past few days. It is called the Perfect Philosophy. That is, when an event takes place and it is over and done with and all there is left to do is to react to it. That event is now described as perfect. Whether you were hoping or expecting that event to happen does not matter. It is always perfect. According to plan. Most importantly, the word “perfect” can never be used sarcastically.

Examples:
Traffic jam? You were hoping you'd run into some of that.
Backlash in a fishing reel? According to plan.
Hit the golf ball into the pond? That's where I was aiming.
Air conditioner in the house is broken? This warm weather is really great.
Double down on an 11 versus a 7 and the dealer gives you a 4? Perfect.

You can either react negatively and complain or whine or become depressed or, you can react positively and act as if what has transpired is perfect and what you were planning all along.

This stay in Woodbridge has been perfect. The family whose house I have lived in for the last five days have been more hospitable and giving and fun than I could have possibly imagined. I am forever grateful to them and will certainly never forget it. I'm glad the bike took a little longer than expected to be repaired.

It's also perfect that the bike will be ready soon because I am looking forward to visiting new places and meeting new people hopefully as nice as the ones I have met here. But, if they are mean that'd be perfect too.

4 comments:

  1. Joe,

    That was a good double down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi JOe! Nick and Em both gave me your blog so I am following. Does your route bring you through Colorado at all? If so, I'd love to come meet you...or house you here :) I can't guarantee as much fun as your Woodbridge stay, but, I'd love to give you some company and catch up!

    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be fun! Check out the post in February called "Invested". That has a list of most of the cities I go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Perfect Philosophy reminds me of Stoicism and I like it. See M.A. 7.54

    I also came across a terse version:

    "What is, is good." - Alexander Pope

    ReplyDelete