Friday, May 28, 2010

A Slight Change of Plans

Shortly after my previous post, I rode over to the fire department to make sure I could camp there for the night. No problems. So I left all my gear at the station and walked across the street to get some food. I found Smokehouse BBQ. I ordered myself a half rack of ribs with mac and cheese and potato salad for the sides and a nice, cool orange soda to wash it all down with.

I sat in the restaurant for a while with nothing much better to do. Eventually, I decided to go back to the station and set up my tent. No problems there either. With the minimal sleep last night, the ride today, and the 3 pounds of food making it's way to my stomach, I was getting sleepy. I decided to lie down in the tent using my backpack for a pillow. It was rather comfortable. Comfortable enough for me to doze off for a bit.

About an hour and a half later a firefighter wakes me up. Says there is a big storm system coming through and he would rather I slept inside for the night. Fair enough. Although, I would not mind braving the weather in my new tent. It would be real exciting. Some other time.

As I am packing up my tent, two other cyclists ride up to the station! Friends! They are staying the night here also! One girl and one guy who are both my age. They recently graduated from none other than Worcester Polytech: a school in the same city as the school my sister graduated from! And the girl is from Long Island which is the same place as the school where my other sister is attending! The guy is from Oakland, California and they are riding all the way across the U.S. using the same route that I am.

If I were to take this trip 100 times in my life, would I be subject to as many coincidences as I have already been subject to? I'm starting to think that the chances are pretty good that I would.

1 comment:

  1. I am getting caught up on my reading. I cant believe that no one commented on this one, vactioners!! I love it! Coincidences starting to make you wonder, or is future Joe making sure that this trip goes as good as possible!!?!?!? One would wonder AH Joe?

    ReplyDelete