Friday, June 4, 2010

Days 11 and 12 - Janet and Buck and the Sleeping Bag Situation

I can't even remember the ride from Buchanan to Blacksburg. Nothing too exciting.

Remember my friend Jarus from Fredericksburg? Well, he is originally from Blacksburg and his parents still live there. He told me that when I was riding through I should give him a call and I could probably spend the night at his parents. So, on my day off I contacted him and then he got a hold of his parents and he told me to call his father, Buck, when I get close to Blacksburg.

From Buchanan, I did about 60 miles to Blacksburg. It was nearly 1 PM when I called Buck. I was two miles down the hill and he'd be there in a minute. His wife, Janet, is a nurse and was still at work.

Buck, picks me up and we get to chatting. He was born and raised in Virginia with three degrees from Virginia Tech and is a die hard Hokie fan. He has a degree in environmental engineering and the company he created is actually working on the BP oil spill in the Gulf right now. In fact, it is the third company he has started. All of which have been successful. Buck is quite the entrepreneur.

So, Buck gives me a tour of Blacksburg (mostly the Virginia Tech campus) after which we go back to their beautiful house on top of the hill overlooking the mountains. They had quite a few pets including a silky terrier, golden retriever, Jarus' beagle, and a Himalayan cat named Milo. I liked that cat.

Janet came home from work and I get to talking with her. She loves cycling and adventure so there was plenty of conversation. I then mentioned how I did not have a sleeping bag and that I was thinking about getting one. She said there were a couple of stores in town that I could look at. Plus, she was going out because she had to feed her horse and miniature horse. The stable was just down the road and coincidentally, she has a percheron thoroughbred name Linus. There were some Oldenbergs in their stalls that were enormous.

We shopped around for sleeping bags and I found a nice one. I bought it. I even bought a ThermaRest pad. I know, I lose some of my hardcore edge. However, I cannot disagree when many experienced campers are strongly recommending I get one. That would just be arrogant.

Janet and Buck made dinner and I had my first Boddington's. After that we hit the hot tub and it was a great evening. Both were wonderful people and very interesting. Perfect hosts. It wasn't their first time hosting a touring cyclist either. They've hosted a few before including a Brit who ended up cycling all the way around the world!

In the morning, Buck and I got to figuring out how to mount my new sleeping bag and pad. Then, Buck suggests that I can just borrow his seat post rack and bag which is much nicer than mine. It has a lot more room and I can even take my tent out of my backpack and strap it on top of the bag. This is wonderful!

After that, Buck took me to IHOP and then dropped me off at place that saved me about 15 miles! It was right on the New River. I am certainly not out of the mountains yet. As best as I can understand, I have already climbed the Blue Ridge Mountains, then descended into the Shenandoah valley, and from yesterday until tomorrow I have to climb over the REAL Appalachian Mountains. I thought I was done until the Rockies!

Yesterday, I rode from where Buck dropped me off, 75 miles to Troutdale. There was a serious climb for the last few miles as you can see from the elevation chart. I stayed at a hostel which was basically a cabin behind a church. It was free and I even got to shower! Unfortunately, there was no one else spending the night there. Also, the beds are just planks of wood. It's a good thing I've got my sleeping bag and sleeping pad!

Click to enlarge.

life=good

2 comments:

  1. I think we went white water rafting in the New River in West Virginia....congrats on the sleeping bag & pad =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    I like Buck, he sounds like a badass. I bet that hot tub with those two was fun!!

    I hope you figured out what business you wanted to start so that when you start grad school you can really focus!!

    ReplyDelete