Friday, June 11, 2010

Days 17-20 - A Bit of Luck

Berea, Kentucky is considered the gateway to the Appalachians if you are traveling west to east. I am traveling east to west so I am happy to move on from Berea to flatter geography. 




After Berea, the pack was getting towards the end of a hot day of riding. Terry was going on about how he could, "murder a glass of pinot gris," and the rest of us were thinking about food. We had planned to ride about 75 miles that day and were at mile 68 getting closer to food, but no wine (another dry county in Kentucky). I made a right turn and noticed a sign that read, "Rolling Hills Vineyard & Winery." Could this be real? Is it open? 


After the turn, the four of use rode about a tenth of a mile down the road until a car going the opposite direction pulled up next to us. There was a friendly looking man in the driver's seat. He looked just like the man who played the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz. He asked us where we were from. Ryan could tell that this man was looking for a conversation and decided to ask him if the winery was open. The man promptly replied, "I own the winery. I'll be happy to open it up for you guys."


The vintner was named Donnie. Donnie is also the local constable. Him and his twin brother, Ronnie, own about 165 acres outside of Springfield, Kentucky. He was an extremely generous man. We had a wine tasting, we showered in his home across the street, he let us camp next to the winery, and he even made us breakfast in the morning. We bought four bottles, set up our tents, and made dinner for ourselves. Terry and Cooper carry small gas stoves with them. It was "bloody paradise". 


We didn't finish all the wine.

Good times with the blokes.

After the winery, we rode to Lincoln's birthplace near Buffalo, Kentucky. I don't really remember much about the ride. We stayed at the Cruise Inn motel. 


Alpaca farm. 

After Buffalo, we made it to the Rough River and camped out on the Rough River Lake. The lake is formed from the Rough River Dam. As soon as we arrived we all jumped in the lake. The water was warm. 


While everyone was working hard figuring out where to spend the night.


I have no idea what they're talking about. 

"What's all this?"

It was getting intense. Ryan's taking a step back. 


Rough River Lake. 


I stopped in the middle of a nice downhill to get this picture.


Tonight, we are in Sebree and only 55 miles from Illinois. 


My trip odometer reads just over 945 miles. I should break 1000 tomorrow. 



View Where is Joe? in a larger map







life=good

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Joe!

    You are living "Blue Highways" all over again, with a bike instead of a van!

    It bugs me no end that there are so many good, solid, generous people in this country, while the greedy bastards at the top make selfish decisions that hurt these people so grievously.

    Keep sending us the good news!

    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    I have missed you. Your new friends make me jelous.

    I have another insane day of coffee and work today. I should be the one writing a blog.

    I miss you Joe.

    I love you Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joey i have an hour and 15 minutes left at the office. i dont want to accomplish anything.

    please post the new story. thank you!

    ReplyDelete