Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Days 27-30 - One Month! and Beating the Heat in Missouri






In the previous post, I was leaving Eminence and heading to Houston. Houston, Missouri is in Texas county. Terry mentioned how it seemed that a lot of states borrow the names of their cities from other states. The ride to Houston was short so we made sure to enjoy the ride. Ryan noticed a fire tower up ahead and we climbed up it to get a nice view of the Ozarks.

Not the sturdiest piece of construction.

Terry was a little unsure. 


But, there was a terrific view.

We stopped for some food in Summersville. There center of town was on a square and the middle square was a nice grassy park. There were no restaurants in town. Just a grocery store across the street from the park. I have noticed that most of these small towns will have a florist before a restaurant. Summersville did, as well as a furniture store, a bank, and a hardware store on the square. So, we decided to have a picnic in Summersville.




Shortly after eating, we were enjoying the shade of the huge oak tree so much, all three of us fell asleep for a bit. Short mileage days are nice.

In Houston, we camped for free besides the city pool. Actually, I did pay three dollars to get in to the pool but, that was well worth it. The grass was soft and I slept well.

Over the past four days, in Missouri, they have been having record high temperatures for this time of year. I do not think there has been a day in the last week where the high for the day was below 90 degrees.  In fact, a rider in the supported tour was rushed to the hospital with heat exhaustion last week. Every local I talk to starts the conversation by mentioning how it is too hot to ride. Yesterday, an old guy told me I was going to "bake my ass" out there. I told him if it hadn't happened yet, it wasn't going to. 

Beating the heat with an early start.

The next stop after Houston was to be Fair Grove, Missouri. The ride there was typical with lots of rolling hills and hot temperatures. Terry, Ryan, and I all ride at different speeds so we do not ride together as a group during the day. What happens is, I ride the fastest because I have the lightest load and usually pull ahead. Then, if there is a turn or a nice area of shade, I usually pull over and wait for Ryan and then Terry to catch up. 

On the way to Fair Grove, I did this, however, I was becoming a bit concerned about the length of time it was taking Ryan and Terry to catch up. I had been waiting nearly 20 minutes. I rode back a bit and still couldn't see anything. Eventually, a van was approaching me and began to slow as it got closer. Then, Ryan poked his head out of the passenger side window. 

Ryan had broken a spoke on his rear wheel. Not two minutes after he had pulled over to inspect the wheel, a man who is supporting his brother on his bike ride across the U.S. stopped and picked up Ryan. He drove Ryan and his bicycle 10 miles to a Wal-Mart in Marshfield. Terry and I joined him there about 45 minutes later.

We ate some Subway and Ryan got on the wireless internet to find some information with riding on a wheel with a missing spoke. There was a wide range of advice. Some people recommended not riding on it at all and getting it fixed immediately. However, in a position like ours, we do not have any options. One person offered the advice of, "You ride the bike...fix it when you can." Ryan rode the last 15 miles on the busted spoke to Fair Grove.

We all got to Fair Grove just fine. As we arrived at the camp site (free, once again) the discussion now was about the location of the nearest bike shop that can replace the spoke. While we were sitting under the pavilion a couple rode past on their road bikes. They were locals and stopped to chat. Ryan told them about the spoke and they immediately offered to call a bike shop in Springfield 28 miles away. 

Turns out, the bike shop drove the distance to Fair Grove the following morning, picked up Ryan and his bike, drove him back to Springfield where they replaced the spoke, and then drove him all the way back to Fair Grove, for absolutely no cost. Ryan did not have to pay for anything. 

While Ryan was getting his bike repaired, Terry and I left Fair Grove and made our way on to Golden City, Missouri. Once again, the temperature was around 95 degrees. I took a nap under a giant oak tree in Everton. It was a fine ride but, the terrain was stilling rolling hills. I also had the worst experience with dogs yet. I was coming over a hill, moving slowly, and about to roll down the other side when four large dogs came flying across the street and surrounded me. I got off my bike and stood on the side of the road. The alpha dog ran circles around me, barking, while the others just stood and barked. I stood and waited for the dogs to lose interest. Only two did. The leader was getting closer and still circling me. If I tried to inch forward the dogs only became more excited. After about 5 minutes of this, a pick up truck drove by. The driver waved me forward, and threw a  pick between the dogs and I as I escaped

I got to Golden City a few hours before Ryan and Terry. We camped in Golden City for free. After Golden City, the next stop was Kansas.

Kansas.


Sonic for lunch. Bad choice.

Kansas is flat. No more climbing until western Colorado! The winds are consistently from the south. The direction switches between the south, southwest, or southeast. My average speed for the 95 miles from Golden City to Chanute, Kansas was 14.5 mph. If the winds do not change, Kansas should be nice riding. 

That's me racing a tractor.

It has been one month since I began riding from Washington D.C. Here is a breakdown of my progress:

Miles traveled on bike - 1572
Days  - 30
Miles per day - 52.4
Days of riding - 24
Miles per day of riding - 65.5
Maximum speed - 47.2 mph
Things I have packed and have not used: Water purifier, socks
Approximate miles to San Francisco - 2200

Also, here is a link to Ryan's blog. www.cycleacrossamerica.co.uk


View Where is Joe? in a larger map


2 comments:

  1. That Welcome to Kansas sign is perfect. So typical. I can't believe you are so far! I hope it cools down a bit for you. It seems to be hot across the country- in NY it's the same miserable humid heat. Stay hydrated! =) Can't wait till you get to Colorado! It's going to be amazing.
    Love, Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you needed to unleash some peppery aerosol devastation on those dogs.
    -Cooper

    ReplyDelete