Saturday, June 19, 2010

Days 25 and 26 - Across the Mississippi!

...on a bridge

I have never actually seen the Mississippi River. This was my first sight of it.

Can't tell from the picture but, the current was pretty quick.

We crossed the river in Chester, Illinois over a bridge with no shoulder. It was not very pleasant and not an ideal place to stop and take a picture. Unfortunately, I was not able to stop and enjoy the Mississippi as much as I would have liked. Regardless, I was happy to have another state over and done with and be on to Missouri.







Ryan and I enjoying our night in Chester, IL

The morning leaving Chester, Terry got an early start at around 5AM. Ryan and I decided sleep a bit longer. Not more than 14 miles into an 80 mile day, Ryan and I ran into some of these foreboding clouds in St. Mary, Missouri. 




Pretty dark for 10AM.

Ryan and I decided to wait out the storm in a convenient store. The rest of the day went smoothly. 



The campsite at Kyle's Campground.

After camping, the next day's ride was going to be one of the toughest in the state. The Ozarks have a reputation for being short, but rather steep. They weren't so bad. However, once again, it was brutally hot out. 



The Current River.

We are getting set to leave Eminence this morning and have a short day to Houston, Missouri.

View Where is Joe? in a larger map




life=good




4 comments:

  1. i should be there in missouri with you.

    i wish you would have swam the mississipppi....but i understand sitting that one out.

    can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably for the better you skipped out on your dip in the Mississippi. My friend lives down that way and recently informed me that a few of the beaches where closed due E. coli. Perfect. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    I am tired this morning. Work blows. Luckily I got my coffee.
    You look very tan.
    At my wedding, do you want chicken or pork?
    You can think about this as long as you would like.

    I am glad to see that the days are starting to fly by and the miles are moving quickly. I think your new friends have added an element of the trip that made it for the better.

    Though I was looking forward to some deranged blog posts from your solitude. I thought for sure reading your blog would be like watching the movie "Apocalypse Now"

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I cheated. Peaked at Days 25-28 before finishing Day 9. What am I doing this evening? The Book of Joe.

    ReplyDelete