Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Days 21-24 - The Ohio River and the Emerald City

The Emerald City to which I am referring to is the one more commonly known as Carbondale, Illinois. But, to TransAm cyclists it is the Mecca and the ride through Kentucky is the Hajj. This is because there are no bike shops on the route through Kentucky. In Carbondale there are three within a block of one another. As soon as we arrived in Carbondale the four of us checked in at a hotel and then took our bikes straight to the shop where they are getting fully serviced. I imagine my Marin is looking something like the tin man right now.

From Sebree, Ryan and I got an early start in order to find ourselves in a bar holding a couple tins while watching the England versus U.S. game by 1:30. Surprisingly, those 45 miles were the most difficult so far on the trip. The heat and humidity were too much to handle and my knees were aching terribly up the smallest of climbs. I would rather ride up Hayter's Gap all day than be in that type of weather.

It all worked out. Ryan and I rolled into Marion around 1PM for lunch and the football game. Cooper and Terry met up with us and we all decided to call it a day in Marion even though we originally planned to ride further than 45 miles that day. It was just too hot. In Marion I reached a nice milestone.

About 2800 more to go. 

After Marion, we put in another shorter day of 48 miles to Eddyville, Illinois. From Marion to Eddyville, we finally left Kentucky and crossed the Ohio River into Illinois. There is a ferry you can take free of charge to get across the river. This is how my bike and everyone else and their bikes crossed the river. I decided to make it a little more exciting.

That river doesn't look too wide.

Loading the bike on the ferry.

Trying to judge the currents.

Ryan recorded some video of it.



Turns out I misjudged the currents and ended up about a half mile down stream.

That mud was deep.

I made it.

More video from Ryan.

The swim was fairly easy once I gave up trying to swim straight across. The most difficult part was walking upstream along the bank in knee-deep mud dodging rusted I-beams and sharp rocks and branches. 

Happy to move on from Kentucky.

First night in Illinois was spent in Eddyville. We were eager to get to Carbondale the following day. Our bikes need a break and so do we. I have been riding consecutive days since Buchanan, Virginia. That was 13 days ago. The 55 miles from Eddyville to Carbondale would not be easy.

For the third day in a row, the temperature was above 90 degrees. The ride took us by Devil's Kitchen (how appropriate). We took a quick dip in Devil's Kitchen Lake. 

Even the water was warm.

After the swim we were within 10 miles of a hotel, restaurants, alcohol, bike shops, and a day off. The route took us on some rough roads and I got a flat front tire. Cooper decided to tend to a slow leak on his front tire while I dealt with mine. 

Teamwork.

Ryan decided to record this too. 

So, now I am in Carbondale, Illinois enjoying a day off. 

Unfortunately, I do bring some bad news. The pack is now down to three riders. Cooper, our friend from Minnesota, is taking 10 days off and going to his cousin's wedding. Today, he left us after breakfast and will ride 180 miles over the next three days to a Greyhound station, then he'll catch a flight the rest of the way to Minnesota. Of course, he does not have to go to the wedding. He's just that kind of guy. We miss him already.

The Coop Dogg.

On the day off, Ryan, Terry, and I were able to swap pictures with one another. Here are some good ones from Ryan and Terry in no particular order.












Donnie the vintner of Rolling Hills and his dogs.

This was in the bathroom at Rolling Hills Winery. What species is this?







Waiting out a thunderstorm. Cooper's eating chips and salsa. 

A couple of Germans.

The man I am riding next to here is Michael. He is originally from Essen, Germany but has been living in the states for the past 12 years. There is an Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) group that is riding the TransAm from east to west and we have been seeing them quite frequently on the trail. There are 15 riders in the group and two leaders. Michael is one of the leaders. He has no baggage on his bike because the ACA tour is supported. There is a huge van that holds everyone's gear. They also organize meals and sleeping arrangements every night for the riders. The cost of the supported trip is around $8,000. 

I asked Michael if he had done the TransAm before and he had not but had done touring in Europe and in the mountains of the States. I then asked him where his favorite place to bike tour was and he said South America. Michael then casually mentioned how he rode his bike from Tierra del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska over a 2 year span of time. Unglaublich. 

 
life=good



View Where is Joe? in a larger map


8 comments:

  1. i wish there was a camera crew following you at all hours and it aired live like in the movie 'edtv' with matthew mcconaughey. you'd be even more lovable than he was in that classic film.

    great work. i wish i was there.

    we're all proud of you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolf Spider--niiiiice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it was a wolf spider. It is hard to tell from the picture but, the length of the spider was approximately 5 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    Please stay away from spides like that. That damn thing looks like it could kill you. I would rather you not die this early in the trip becuase I will not have a cool blog to read at work.

    Couple things I noticed:

    You are getting skinny, make sure you eat food. I like my men a little thick.

    Also, you need to take ur shirt off more often, that tan of yours looks stupid. I like my men golden brown all over, so please let other parts of your body see the sun!

    My coffee was shitty today, luckliy we are having a good day, cakes and pies while I sit on my ass for hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to be honest, this blogging thing is all new to me but I am sure glad I read and posted to your blog first Joe!

    I cannot tell you how hard I laughed when I saw your swimming across the Ohio River. The main reason is because you know Nick, Jake, DJ and even Bill would have joined you! It looked awesome! I am glad you met up with some Germans rather than the French, if you know what I mean... I am sure they are amused when you order "tins" of light beer in front of them!

    I decided today that I will start training for a triathlon by the end of the summer. Thank you for inspiring me Joe and a great coach once said, "Don't give up, don't ever give up!"

    Talk to you soon my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the new video additions and of course, your swim across the Ohio river! We are in Belgium right now, and of course still reading.

    ps. Jake is right, you are getting skinny. Eat more!

    Love,
    George & Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always amazed how long it takes driving across the Mississippi or Ohio rivers. That is just a ton of water. Which I am sure you found out and i'm sure you'll find more rivers like that as you go west.

    Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe,
    I think that spider has an octopus complex! Seriously though, I think it is called a fishing spider. They're supposed to eat fish and frogs. I think it must have eaten a radio-active fish! BTW, my wife's afraid of your blog now.
    -Steve-

    ReplyDelete