Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Days 9 and 10 - River Swimming and A Day Off in Buchanan

It was fun being in Love. But, I was ready to move on. The tent worked out well. It kept the bugs off me. I am certainly glad I brought it along. However, my sleep in it was interrupted by either an aching body part or the chills. I had no padding to sleep on and also no blanket or pillow. I could no longer use my packaged up tent as a pillow like I did in Mineral, seeing as now I was sleeping in it. So, for a pillow I used my backpack and instead of one big blanket I had three smaller ones: a jersey for my feet, my rain jacket for my middle third, and my chamois towel for my arms and chest.

I know back in Strongsville my Uncle Howard is screaming, "Just get a sleeping bag!" (See his comment on my post, "I Need to Get Some Sleep") Well, he's right. I should get a sleeping bag. But, I'm not. Well, not just yet anyways. It was pretty miserable in that tent and it certainly wouldn't have been had I had a sleeping bag. However, it was just not quite miserable enough for me to think, "Man, I need to get a sleeping bag." Maybe if it would've been a little colder I would be searching for a sleeping bag now. I'm not sure how good this logic is but, it's how my brain works.

I had all my gear packaged up by 7AM. The previous day I made sure to ask the deli owners what time they open in the morning for breakfast. Around 8 or 9 was the response I got. So I had some time to kill and decided to sit in the morning sun in front of the deli. There were these huge flowering bushes out front that had hundred of bees hard at work gathering pollen from the flowers. I was fairly hypnotized by these bees and watched them for at least an hour. It looked like the deli won't be opening until 9. I fiddled around for about another hour and finally the owner showed up. I told him I had just been waiting a few minutes.

They didn't really serve breakfast food so I microwaved a couple of Jimmy Dean sausage and pancake sandwiches they sell and asked the owner how long he's owned the land and cabins. He's had them since 2004 and hasn't really done much to the property. However, he is in the middle of building a stage so they can host bluegrass and mountain music concerts. He also mentioned how he wanted to make his land more cyclist friendly and fix up the shower so people like me could camp out. I thought that was a great idea.

After Love, I knew I had some more climbing to do. It was just as pretty as the day before. You can really see why they call them the "Blue Ridge Mountains." I only took one more picture.

Higher than yesterday! 

Actually, the highest elevation sign I saw was 3294. Then, after about 10 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway I took the elevator, also known as route 56, down to the bottom floor in Vesuvius. It was a 4 mile long thin, winding road with blind, sharp turns. A bit nerve racking and my hands and forearms were cramping up because I was applying the brakes so much. I would complete a turn at about 17 mph and then release the brakes for just a few seconds and jump up to 32 mph. I didn't have to pedal but it was not as easy as riding downhill might sound. Although, I suppose it was downmountain...not downhill. 

After Vesuvius the road became pretty rough and I was getting knocked around. It was, once again, a blisteringly hot day. I did notice that there was a river running right along the road. It was more like a creek at times but sure looked nice. The name is the South River. I wanted to keep moving but the river was calling to me. I finally pulled off and jumped in. Oh, how refreshing. I was thinking about filling up a water bottle and using my water purifier for the first time but, I had plenty of water. I just can't wait to use that thing.

I stopped after about 30 miles in Lexington, Virginia for some lunch. I stayed there for a while and then decided to continue on to Buchanan where I could get a hotel. Thirty slow, exhausting miles past Lexington I found Buchanan and the Wattstull Inn right off of I-81. The innkeeper, Samantha Wattstull herself, checked me in and she was very friendly. 

There is a restaurant right across the street that I asked her about and she said that it was a fine place to get some food. I also asked if there was a Burger King nearby because I saw signs for one when riding into Buchanan. She said it was about 2 miles down the road and I stopped her right there saying the restaurant across the street would be just fine. As I was walking to my room she added that if I really wanted some Burger King that she could probably take me down there. I said thanks but, the restaurant would be fine. 

I put my stuff in the room and walked over to the restaurant. It was closed. There is also a gas station across the street so I went in there. There was nothing too appetizing so I decided to go see if that ride to Burger King was still available. I knocked on her door and asked. She then asked me if I knew how to drive a stickshift. Slightly confused, but slowly catching on, I said I did. She then told me the directions to the Burger King and told me to take the truck. The truck is an old, red Toyota that has certainly seen better days. The keys are already in the ignition. 

It took me a bit to find reverse. You really had to throw it in there. But, I got it and I'll tell ya, that truck is a sweet ride. It was early evening now and I had the windows down and some George Strait playing on the radio. The speed limit was 45 and I wasn't going more than 40. I had a line of cars forming behind me but they were just going to have to slow down. I was having too much fun. 

I got my food and hopped back in the truck. There was no cup holder. Hmm. I'd hate to spill orange soda all over the seats. Then, I noticed a roll of duct tape right in the middle of the front seat. My cup fit in the roll perfectly. I thought I was pretty smart to think of that. However, from the look of the truck, I got the impression that the roll of tape had been used as a cup holder before. The ride back was too short. I could've driven that truck all the way to San Francisco. 

I'm staying in Buchanan an extra day to give my legs some rest. They need it. Here is a map of what I've done so far. I took the routes out of it and am now just adding points of interest.


View Where is Joe? in a larger map

I have been gone 10 days but have only really ridden for 5 of them. According to my maps, I have covered about 337.5 miles in those 5 days of riding. I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. joe....stay strong. no sleeping bags needed for you. it'll be a lot cooler when you can say you made it the whole way without one.

    in other news i rode about 10 hilly miles yesterday. COMPLETELY exhausted. You the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd reconsider the no sleeping bag idea: check out the night temps in some of your destinations out west. Either way, it'll make for a good story; just enjoy! Live and learn =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could get one of those mylar emergency blankets - very lightweight, will keep you warm, although not very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont get a sleeping bag! you gotta live hard core!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe,

    It's Brent from BW. ("Jakers") I caught wind from Mr. Brinkman that your doin some crazy trip across the country. He gave me ur blog. I'm caught up and I plan on following you the country. I wish u luck and glad ur livin life to the fullest.

    Ya, crazy story... I was doin some pressure washing for this guy out in Amish country and sure enough he had a daughter that went to BW, dated Joe Meyer, and we were able to share some stories about u and i'm sure we both have more to tell. I told him we shared Phsyics majors back in the day and played a fair amount of Racquetball together. Anyways, u talk about coincidences, there is another one. It is almost like we r supposed to live this life.

    ReplyDelete