Friday, July 9, 2010

Days 45-47 - In the Lap of Luxury and I Love British People

I woke up in Ridgway thinking about where I would and up for the day. I felt I should put in some bigger miles because the last couple days have been on the shorter side. However, the bed was so comfortable, I was on my netbook with free wifi, and my bike stuff was a mess all over the room. I didn't want to get out of that bed and the longer I stayed in it the faster I would have to ride to put in big miles.

Then, all of the sudden, I decided to make it a 40 mile day to Telluride and I was in a much better mood. I just opened my whole day up! I didn't have to start riding for a couple hours now! So, I got dressed, packed the bike up, and then walked across town to Kate's Place in Ridgway for a nice breakfast.

As I was sipping my coffee and eating my blueberry pancakes with raspberry jam on top, a young woman, also sitting by herself at a table nearby, struck up a conversation with me. Her name was Meghan and was riding her bike to Connecticut. Despite the fact that both our final destinations were on different sides of the country, we were both headed to Telluride that day. She finished her breakfast before me and we decided to meet in the park and ride together for the day.

It was nice having a riding companion again. She is going to Telluride because they are currently having yoga festival and Meghan is very big into yoga. After a decent climb over Dallas Divide there was a 13 mile decent into Placerville.

I think thats the North Pole Peak.

On the descent, I was coasting ahead of Meghan at around 25mph when two local riders on their carbon fibers passed me going about 30. I was pretty sure they wanted to race. At least I thought they did. So, I put the Marin in top gear and started cranking. Within about a half mile I had caught them and tucked right in about 6 inches off the second guy's rear wheel. I was now coasting at 30 mph. After sitting back there for about three miles I was still fairly sure they were unaware of my presence. I decided to pull around them and pass. I didn't want to be a freeloader. They could draft off me for a bit. I yelled out, "On your left!" and cranked as hard as I could.

I held up the pace for a bit and then turned around to see where my competitors were. They were nowhere to be seen! I slowed down. Still nothing! I eventually stopped and Meghan caught up to me. I asked her if she had seen the two local riders. She had and told me they pulled over and got into their car. That must've happened right after I passed them. It would've been nice to do the entire descent with them but, it was still a blast. While we were stopped a car drove by with the bicycles on the back and I got a honk and a friendly wave.

We arrived in Placerville just as the weather was turning sour. It began thundering and raining and Meghan and I parked it on a bench outside a general store and had some lunch. While we were eating, a cyclist coming the other way rode up. He had come from San Francisco and his name was Nile, like the river. Nile was from Iowa and was only 17 years old! He is going into his senior of high school. He had some great stories of tire issues in Utah. I can imagine he would be a very fun riding companion as he was easy going. One of his goals is to not pay for lodging the entire trip. I think he can do it.

The rain was not going to stop. Meghan had better rain gear than me and decided to continue on. As I was waiting, I thought it might be a good time to call the post office in Poncha Springs to get my tent pole forwarded. Unfortunately, I had no reception in Placerville. Also, since my tent was on my mind I was wondering how it would hold up if I had to camp in this rain in Telluride. I figured I might as well get on the bike and ride into Telluride so I could at least make a phone call.

Along the ride, it started raining harder. I was wet and did not feel like camping in this type of weather with my tent in the state that it is in. Time to call in a favor. I called my friend George whose father is building a house in Telluride. I told George a few days ago that I was going to ride through Telluride and he offered that since his dad knows people in town, he could find somewhere for me to stay a night. Within 15 minutes, Ken gives me a call.

He actually lives in Mountain Village above Telluride. Ken is the architect and designer of George's father's house and also the next door neighbor of the house! He gives me directions to his house and I ride on over. It is an absolutely gorgeous home with amazing views of the mountains.

My bedroom.




It's nice to know people in high places. (Best pun of my life)

On top of the fact that the house and location was amazing, there was also a 20 year old female Welsh soccer coach staying in the house. There was a British soccer camp going on in Telluride and the coaches for the camp get put up by families in town whose children are in the camp. Ken's daughter, 12 year old Madie, was signed up for the camp, however, she injured her ankle and wrist right before the camp started and was unable to participate.

We all went out to dinner down in Telluride at the Cosmopolitan and I had the Wild Alaskan Barbeque Salmon. As a result of the five star accommodations and free food, I decide this might be a nice place to take a day off. I get a shower and do some laundry and got schooled in pool by the soccer coach Amy.

The next morning, Ken draws a map of mountain biking trails I could take down to Telluride. That sounds like fun so I hop on his wife's $4,000 mountain bike and hit the trails.

I almost destroyed it and myself on the trails.

The trails were very difficult for me. I got off and walked a lot so I wouldn't end up like my Uncle Tom. I got in to Telluride and had a mocha and breakfast sandwich at an outdoor cafe. After a while, it started to rain so I rode quickly over to the gondola and loaded up the bike back up to Mountain Village.

I hung out with Madie for a while working on a jigsaw puzzle and baking cookies. In the evening, we were all going to go to a dinner party for Amy and the four other coaches in the camp. The other coaches are two Kevins, one from Manchester, the other from Scotland, Mark, from Leeds, and Jordan from Yorkshire. Before the party, Ken took us to the highest waterfall in the Rocky's.

It was a bumpy four wheel drive to the top.

English Kevin and a waterfall beer and Mark.

That's an old power plant/house up there and a guy lives in it year round.

Madie and Ken.

After the waterfall, we had sushi at Honga's in town before the dinner. Ken and Madie took off early from the dinner and the coaches invited me to hit the town with them afterwards. Thanks to Ryan, I showed off some of my English and they were impressed. However, I did mention that I was German and Irish and they were not to keen to the fact that I had German heritage because of the World Cup. So, I stuck to the fact that I have Irish heritage and they thought that was alright.

During dinner, then at the bar, I had a wonderful time with more laughs than I can count. I just can't get enough of British people. I love it.

The lone American (just the way I like it), Scottish Kevin, English Kevin, Jordan, Mark, Amy, and Mick

In the morning, I didn't exactly feel like getting on my bike but, I was getting restless. It was time to move on. I made quick work of Lizard Head pass.

This view was worth stopping mid-climb for. You're welcome.






Too easy.

I'm staying the night in Dolores at a campground. I have also hopefully sorted out the tent situation. I called Poncha Springs and Debbie there is going to forward the package to Cedar City, Utah. It's about a week away for me so the tent pole should definitely beat me there this time. Speaking of Utah, I should be there tomorrow or the next day. How exciting!


life=good

6 comments:

  1. just unbelieveable. all i want in life is to not be in my office reading about lebron all day. and you're out there LIVING!

    thank you for that view.

    i want to go stay with your friends in telluride.

    live the dream baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is crazy, I love your blog.

    BOYYYY yeEAAA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking it easy, good to see. Plus more people from 'up north. Can't be doing with those southern softies. P.s Day off shirt looking good, I should have worn mine over Hoosier Pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    You went to all of my favorite places and got to meet some of the best people in all of Telluride, the Alexander's. I am so glad that you stopped in our future home town! It is a great place full of wonderful people, and the scenery isn't so bad either.

    Ride on.......

    Cindy Keppler

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Harriet and Uncle Larry MeyersonJuly 10, 2010 at 12:45 AM

    Hi Joe,
    Sorry we didn't get to meet up with you in Montrose or Telluride, but it sounds like the great adventure continues with amazing encounters.

    We love all the details you write about your adventures in your blog as it makes us feel like we are right there with you.
    Love,
    Uncle Larry and Aunt Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joe!

    We just came through Nevada going the other way (in an RV with 4 kids, which may be tougher that biking, if you know these kids!), and it feels like if you exclude Reno and Las Vegas, about 50 people live in the state. Also, we couldn't get internet or cell service for almost the entire trip. I hope you realize how desolate and isolated the next part of your journey will be, and take appropriate caution.

    Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete