Monday, July 12, 2010

Days 49 and 50 - Welcome to Planet Utah

Comments about comments:
Daniel,
Great! I'll keep you posted for when I find a swimmer.

Nick and Jake,
Sorry for ignoring you guys. I'm estimating about 16 more days until San Francisco. I think I can say on behalf of all the readers of this blog and myself, we love your comments. xoxo


From Blanding, I had about 78 miles until Lake Powell. The geography along the way was quite different than anything else I have encountered on this trip.


















I made it to Lake Powell with no issues by 2:30PM. The store actually stays open until 6PM. I bought a lunch, which I ate immediately, a dinner and breakfast for the morning. 


It's actually the Colorado River.


I took a quick dip in the Lake which was very nice. Then, I set up camp. If I can even call it that...


How embarrassing...

The temperature at night is much more reasonable at this elevation of 4500ft. I didn't even need the sleeping bag. Also, it was by far the best starry night I have ever seen in my entire life. Too bad I was too tired to really appreciate it. I woke up in the middle of the night, stared at the stars for a bit, was amazed, then rolled back over to get some more shut eye. 

This morning, it was going to be another 50 miles until Hanksville without any services. Again, I made it with no issues and even found free wifi in the gas station/burger joint! My cell phone still has no signal though.


View on my ride into Hanksville.

It's getting browner...

After only 5o miles, I was hoping to ride a bit more into Caineville. However, after talking with the gas attendant here I learned there is no food in Caineville. After Caineville, there is Torrey but, that is another 50 miles. I'm not up for that so, I will just be staying in Hanksville for the night. I will still make Boulder tomorrow which was my original plan. It will just be a longer day tomorrow. 

View Where is Joe? in a larger map


life=good

6 comments:

  1. I'm here. I'm commenting. I -again- cheated by skipping ahead to this day's blog. Tried your cell, straight to vm. See why. Crappy comment, I know. Just wanted to reach ya ~ happy now knowing you're still here.
    ~ lissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, some of those pictures remind me of the pictures sent back from the Mars rovers. Desolate.
    Stay safe. I look forward to your safe return to Ohio and hearing all about it firsthand.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    We could never be mad at you. Thanks for the love.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the love, Joe. You sure know how to keep us hanging on.

    Just kidding...i'll never leave you.

    I think upon your return maybe you should rent out a theatre for the night so everyone who wants to hear about your trip firsthand can get a listen.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying the Blog, Joe!
    Your Aunt Shirley gave us your link in June.
    Be Safe and enjoy the ride.
    The Healy's
    Tim, Eileen and the kids
    Jack, Moira, Quinn and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking...that's all I can say =) Okay, and the CO River Rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete