Saturday, July 17, 2010

Days 54 and 55 - The Conclusion to the Tent Pole Situation

Despite being by myself, the second night in Bryce was just as social as the first. I had eaten dinner at my campground and decided to take a late evening walk. As I was walking between other campgrounds I heard someone yell over to me, "Hey, are you the cyclist?" I guess I am now known as the cyclist in Utah.

Actually, I had run into these two women just a couple days earlier on Boulder mountain. They reminded me that we had a brief conversation at one of the scenic overlooks that day. Now, they had just arrived at Bryce and were camping just a few hundred feet from where I was. I remember one of their names was Meg and I forget the other one's. I gave them a link to the blog so I am sure once they read this I will be scolded by the other one for not remembering her name. Sorry. Maybe I should just pretend I forgot both of their names...

Anyways, both were high school history teachers from California enjoying a summer road trip together. They were very friendly and offered me food but, I had already eaten. We talked until it became dark and then I went back to my campground. At the adjacent campground were Abe, Kate, and Alyssa (from the group picture on the previous post). I then talked to them for a bit because they were very friendly as well. Abe and Kate were married but all three of them are actually working on a new project that you can check out here. It was now nearly midnight and time for sleep. I had a big day of riding ahead of me.

The first 25 miles were easy into Panguitch. Then, the climbing started. Here is the elevation profile of my ride from Bryce, which is just left of Tropic on the chart, to Cedar City.



The climbing was going smoothly and about halfway up I had a French dip at Panguitch Lake. With only 14 miles to the top, I was feeling fine. Just as I was riding away from Panguitch Lake, a local cyclist came cruising by me. He was a larger guy and so I was surprised with how fast he was able to climb. I did not feel like catching him because I was happy going my own pace. Plus, I had already done 50 miles. He probably was just starting out. Ah well, you can't always beat 'em.

So, I trudged along up this mountain for about 6 more miles, constantly checking my trip odometer to see how far I've gone. The climbing never got really steep, it was just long. 

Then, as I came around a bend, about 1000 feet in front of me was the cyclist who had passed me earlier! I was gaining on him! He looked like he was struggling pretty mightily. I shifted up. 

Being tired, even physically tired, must entirely be a psychological thing. I should paste a picture of a cyclist on my sunglasses so it looks like there is always someone just ahead of me. After seeing him once, I lost sight of him a couple more times because of the sharp turns. But, I knew he was there and I kept pushing. Just a mile later I had caught back up to him. 

His name was Warren, he was from Las Vegas, and was staying at Lake Panguitch for a couple days with his family. I guess the fishing is really good at the lake. Trout is what everyone goes for. He was not going all the way up the mountain and after a nice conversation decided to head back down. There were quite a few more Newtons pulling on him then me, which is why I was able to catch him in the ascent. However, they would've worked to his advantage on the way back down. 

Just a few miles later, I was at the top where Cedar breaks national monument is located. 


Tough day of climbing.

Just a mile or so along the ridge, here was another spectacular view.


Then came the descent. It was not the fastest but it sure was the longest. I average over 30mph for 15 miles. For about a fifth of that I was going 40mph. I also surpassed the 3000 mile mark on this trip mid-descent. Unfortunately, I could not stop and take a picture of it. But, less than 800 miles left!

As I flew into Cedar City, I parked it at a hotel to call around and figure out the best place to stay. Since it was Friday, the hotels were way to expensive and so I rode over to a KOA campground. On the way there, I nearly rode right by the post office! I had also nearly forgotten to stop at the post office! It was past 5PM but they were still open. I anxiously waited in line. When I got to the front I told the lady that a package should be waiting for me. Just like magic, she goes to the back and returns holding a box that looks like it has some tent poles in it. I go out of the post office and open the box immediately. There they were! 

I get to the campground and set up my tent!

Back in business!

The campground is a bit pricey at 30 bucks but, I like it more than a hotel. I did my laundry, there is wifi, a grocery store, a pool, and nice showers and bathrooms. I got some strange looks while I was doing my laundry because I was just wearing shorts. Everything else was dirty! Actually, everything was dirty but, I don't think I'm allowed to stand around naked. 

Today, I will leave a bit later in the day because I only need to ride 55 miles from here to Milford. This sets me up nicely for my ride across Nevada. From Milford, I will ride 84 miles with no services to Baker, Nevada. From Baker, I will ride 63 miles with no services to Ely (pronounced Eelee). From there, I will ride 78 miles with no services to Eureka. From Eureka, I will ride 68 miles with no services to Austin. Then, depending on how I feel, from there I might be able to make Fallon but, there is a town called Middlegate 61 miles from Austin that might be a stop. There are no services between Austin and Middlegate.

So, you get the idea. Also, this is not to mention that I will be doing multiple mountain passes every day between these towns. There are a total of 16 passes or summits on this stretch. However, it seems that the worst of it will only last 5 days. I have also been checking the weather in the cities I will be passing through and the temperatures do not look too bad; Mid-90s mostly and the nights are cool in the 60s. I get through this, and I'll be in California.

Ain't nothin' to it but to do it.


View Where is Joe? in a larger map


life=good

2 comments:

  1. hi Joe. this is Cooper's mom. I found your website and so now i am following you and Ryan across the U.S. I wish Cooper had one but he just wanted to be unencumbered. Your photos are wonderful. I have never been to Utah. It is on my list. Keep drinking your fluids. I'm a mom I have to say that. :) Enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joey.

    that tent looks tip top. i wish i was sleeping in there with you every night.

    ReplyDelete